The state of retirement savings – and the retirement income security of Canadians – has been the subject of considerable public debate over the past decade. Several “fixes” have been proposed, based on various understandings of the “problem”. Some have been adopted while others have been rejected. But there are other structural pension issues that haven’t yet been addressed, or are percolating along beneath the public’s radar. In this latest edition of CALU Report, Ron Sanderson provides his views on current pension challenges, identifies some low profile but still significant pension issues, and suggests further steps that should be taken to address these issues.
The topics covered in this report include:
- Setting the Stage
- Bad Data Leads to Bad Fixes
- The Real Savings Problem
- How Much is Enough?
- The Shift to Target Benefits
- DC Plans: The Rodney Dangerfield of Pensions
- Running my Pension Plan is Diverting me from Running my Business
- When Guarantees Become Problems
- When Law Gets in the Way of Smart Product Design